Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Revelations of Matthew 14:22-33: The 8 Prayer Watches

Last Sunday, my sister and I were honored to be God Parents to one of my best friends’ 3 beautiful and anointed children. It was such a wonderful occasion and joyous celebration that we started to cry. You could feel the presence of the Lord in the building.

After the dedication, the Bishop of the church gave a very remarkable and potent sermon. I don’t remember the title of the message but it referred to Matthew 14:22-33, Jesus walking on water. I’m pretty sure most of us have read about this miracle in Sunday school or Church. But this little passage means so much more than just Jesus and Peter walking on water. The Holy Spirit revealed to me that Jesus is giving us instructions on how we should be living our lives and keeping our eyes on Him.

So I would like to dissect the passage in a couple of posts to reveal God’s will for us. In verse 25 it reads “Now in the fourth watch of the night Jesus went to them, walking on the sea.”(KJV) Now as I was reading this verse, my eyes were fixed on the "fourth watch". I read a book last year that talked about the third watch, which are the hours between midnight and 3:00 am. During this time satanic powers are heighten, so we are to pray against the works of the enemy. So knowing this, I decided to find out what the 4th watch is all about. While doing my research I came upon this website that describes the 8 prayer watches.

Picture courtsey of National Prayer website

It is from a Church in the Philippians that encourages its congregation to be watchmen. I found this information to be very significant and resourceful. I believe it is essential for Christians to know these things to function well in the Body of Church.

On a personal note, I have been reading the Book of Ezekiel, which is considered the Book of the Watchman. Ezekiel was a faithful prophet, obeyed God’s word and prophesied to people of Judea of God’s anger towards them. I believe God is calling our generation to be Watchmen. I have friends who are devoted to their prayer life and are prayer warriors. Growing in your prayer life is vital because it is our way to communicate with God, hear His word and destroy the enemy’s plan against us.

We as Christians need to educate ourselves on how to pray, when to pray, what to pray for and at times who to pray for. When we pray it just shouldn’t always be about our family and us. We need to pray for our leaders in church/government, our co-workers/bosses/employees, our community, country and people we don’t even know. Prayer is so POWERFUL!!!!!!!!!!!! I am teaching myself not to say, “All we can do is pray.” It sounds like it is the last resort and pitiful. It is the 1st thing you do and you should do it with authority and purpose. Don’t be weak with your prayer like it has a disease. Be strong, healthy, joyful and prevailing when you are praying. We are communicating with the All Mighty God, The God of the Universe, The Creator!!!! Get Excited!!!! He has all the power, not some, but all.

I wonder if the disciples were practicing their prayer life, would they have been afraid? When they saw Jesus on the sea, would they have thought it was a ghost or their Savior? Had they been diligent and praying, while they were on the boat during the storm, they would have had faith knowing everything was going to be all right. You see they had the Master in their mist and yet did not use the power that He had been teaching them to overcome fear and temptation. I strongly believe that if they were active in their prayer life, they would have not fallen asleep when Christ needed them to pray the most (Read Luke 22: 39-46).
So I encourage you to improve in your prayer life and take it seriously. Here is the link for the 8 Prayer Watches. I pray that you will incorporate this in your prayer life and you will start to see changes in your walk, church, community, workplace and home life. I would like to motivate you to start a prayer group in your homes. Like Christ said in Matthew 18:20 “For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them.” There is power in numbers, so be encouraged. We would also like to know about your prayer life and blessings you have received through it.
Heavenly Father, I pray that you lead us to pray and be Watchmen in these end times. Continue to allow your Word to speak to us and instruct us on what we need to do for your Kingdom. It is not about us but it is all about You. I pray that we will take these powerful prayer watches and use them in our lives everyday. I pray for a increase of prayer warriors and valiant men and women, who will not give up and allow the Devil to run rampant in their lives. I pray for all these things with power and authority in the name of Jesus, Amen.

No comments: